It is a well accepted fact that feeding livestock is incomplete without including green fodder in their diet. Green fodder is a staple feed for farm animals. Sprouted Fodder is a great alternative to conventional feed.
Agritom Fodder Systems
Our Fodder Systems sprout seeds without the need for soil. Compared to conventional methods of growing fodder, hydroponic fodder systems require far less space.
Our Hydroponic Fodder Systems consist of a framework of shelves on which plastic trays are stacked. After soaking overnight, a layer of seed is spread over the base of the trays. During the growing period, the seeds are kept moist, but not saturated. They are supplied with moisture via spray irrigation. Holes in the trays facilitate drainage of excess water. The seeds will usually sprout within 8 to 12 hours after soaking and in 7 days have produced a 200mm to 250mm high grass mat.
Hydroponically Grown Fodder is much more digestible than grain or conventional dry roughage.
What should be the capacity of the system?
If you prepare your ration to use the green feed at the maximum level, the daily average consumption according to animal types will be as follows:
- Diary/Bulls: 15-25kg/day/animal
- Cattle: 10-20kg/day/animal
- Sheep/Goats): 2-3kg/day/animal
- Horses: 10-20kg/day/animal
Benefits of Hydroponic Fodder Production
- Water Saving: The hydroponic system only requires approximately 2 liters of water to grow 1 kg of quality green fodder when compared to 55 to 75 liters of water used in conventional farming.
- Utilisation of Minimal Land: Generally, hydroponic greenhouses require marginal land to cover the area of 10 meters x 5 meters for 1000 kg of green fodder per day per unit. In traditional farming it requires 1 hectare land.
- Less Labour Requirement: In hydroponics, the labour required for green fodder production is about 2 to 3 hours a day where as conventional fodder production system requires continuous intense labour for cultivation to harvesting of the grass.
- Less Time to Grow Green Fodder: To get the optimal growth stage of nutritious green fodder, it requires just over 6 days from seed germination to fully grown plant of 20 – 25 cm height. Constant supply of green fodder is possible round the year to meet the industry demand.
- Increased Nutritious Value: The green fodder grown from hydroponic system will be highly Nutritious as compared to conventionally grown fodder. So using, hydroponic grass, one can supply quality milk from dairy animals.
- Minimal Loss of Green Fodder: Green fodder grown from hydroponic system will be fully utilized as there won’t be any loss of the green fodder during feeding. There would be wastage of chopped traditional green fodder or green grasses during consumption by the animal.
“I just worked out my feeding bill prior to having an Agritom fodder system installed. It was costing me $30k per year on feed. After installing the Agritom system it was reduced to only $15k. I’m feeding the same amount of cattle and I don’t need to worry about spraying, frosts, lack of rain or pests. I’m getting consistent feed 365 days a year and the cattle are putting on an average of 2kg per day. It’s a no-brainer”.Mark Polomka
A New Way to Farm
It is a well accepted fact that feeding Farm Animals is incomplete without including green fodder in their diet. Green Fodder is a staple feed for most Farm Animals and Agritom Fodder Systems enable it to be produced 365 days a year.
An Agritom Fodder System is a great addition to any farm as it will allow the producer to increase their carrying capacity without the cost of purchasing additional land.